Welcome to the Chimera Arts page – A Community Arts and Makerspace in Sebastopol, Sonoma County, Ca.
“Chimera Art Space is a place to unite and empower the Sonoma County creative community. A place where shared resources and workspace provide inspiration and opportunity for all.
We offer a facility, tools, training and community for Sonoma County artists, makers, hackers and inventors. Get involved today!”
Next Meet up
The next meet up will be our open house for the jewelry studio. Coming in early March!
For other meetups, please see the general Chimera Calendar.
We are in the new space and almost finished. See photos below.
We really need student desks to accommodate 8 students.
Looking for jewelry tools. We really need a new, good rolling mill and a melting furnace. Pricey but, important tools! Used is fine. Please see our wish list, below. Your donation is tax deductible as we are a non-profit organization.
Latest images first.
Sugar and I went shopping for cabinets and stuff, on 2/23/16. We scored.
Sugar, Kelly and I started putting it all together this past Sunday, February 21, 2016.
Sugar and Kelly with our very temporary desks. In the center, where the temporary desks are, will be seating for 8. At the very end is the instructor’s desk. All desks will have fume and particulate ventilation.
The Morning of 2/21/16 before work began.
Shopping at Ross – 2/20/16
The not so distant past.
The Old Days
In the old building. A jewelry meetup on water casting.
Click on images to enlarge.
The old studio – before our move.
The jewelry department has a wish list for tools and materials. If you’d like to add anything to the list or have something to donate, please email me at: Nancy.email@example.com or Chimera at their donate page.
So, here’s the list so far:
- Hydraulic press. Purchase or make (instructions)
- A Durston Combination Rolling Mill
- Decorating turntable (for soldering)
- Buffs for buffing motor – tight weave muslin and felt.
- Buffing compound: rouge, Zam
- 3m PSA Sanding Discs 220-1200 grit
- Moores snap-on sanding discs 7/8″
- Steel stock, square and round 0-1 or W-1, for making chasing and repousse tools, among other things.
- cutting pliers, good round nose pliers like Swanstrom, stone setting pliers
- Wet/dry sandpaper grits from 220 to 1200.
- A couple more PowerMax type cutters
- Setting burs
- Cup burs
- Round burs
- Bud/flame/spear head burs all sizes or this type: single cut
- Cylinder burs
- Wheel Burs
- Sherri Haab’s E-3 Etch kit
- UV light box
- Several leather mallets: small and large
- Larger, more complete dapping set
- Good disc cutter
- Fancy disc cutters – all shapes and sizes
- Oval bracelet mandrel
- Finger-shaped ring mandrel
- Oval forming mandrel
- Square forming mandrel
- Pitch bowls in various sizes: 8″ pitch bowl kit, 6 1/4″ kit, 5″ kit
- Chasing tools – Both beginner and starter sets.
- Checkering file – 2 cut
- Chenier/Joint files – varying sizes for hinge making
- Wolf wax carving tools
- Wolf belt sander for the flex shaft
- Wax for carving: purple, green and blue. All sizes and shapes
- Desktop Draw Bench (construction project)!
- Draw plates
- Draw tongs
- Fretz miniature forming kit
- Fretz miniature hollow ring stake kit
- Cratex miniature wheel kit
- Crucibles for centrifugal caster
- Automatic melting furnace any type” Rio Grande’s, Dura-Bull, Kerr
- Sheet metals: copper, brass, bronze, aluminum, tin, steel, silver (all 3 types), gold (hah!), platinum (double hah!)
- Wire: copper, brass bronze, aluminum, tin, steel, silver
- More later! Tools, tools, tools…