Note: this page is under construction and not complete! Soon!
Don’t forget your goggles and have either a dust collection system or wear an approved particulate mask, when using it! Also, things can get hot FAST! So, either wear gloves, work slowly and let the metal rest or use a jeweler’s ring clamp.
See my ring clamp adaptation at DIY Tools (on my site).
Types of Bench Top Belt Sanders
- Eastwood makes a 1/2 horsepower, 8″ combination sander/grinder. It’s around $100.00
- Harbor Freight – they carry two types that will work for a benchtop system: One (Item #60543) has a single, 1″ belt and the 4″ sander (item #97181 – at Amazon, it was cheaper there but, shipping brings it up!) has a wider belt and a disc sander. It has a 3/4 motor. The larger belt sander has a larger bench footprint: 24-3/4″ H x 15″ W x 14″ L. Weight: 37.5 lbs.. The 1″ system is 13 1/2″ H X 11 1/8″ L X 9″ W. Weight: 13.3 lbs. It also has a 1/2 horsepower motor.
*Note: no more Harbor Freight links for me! They change them too often to keep up with them.
- The Wolf Belt Sander (at Amazon). I own this and love its small footprint. It’s great for small jobs like grinding edges flat or shaping.
- Pat Pruitt’s Wolf Belt Sander by Sharon Elaine Thompson on Ganoksin. This is, essentially, a review but, there is a link to how Pat “hot-rodded” his sander. That link follows.
- Pat Pruitt: Blogging for Jewelers and Metalsmiths made easy! The blog post is titled: Hot Rodding the Wolf Sander. For those who want to customize your Wolf Sander.
Belt Sanding Supplies
- I like the 3m Trizact Belts for the Wolf Belt Sander. They are available from many places in the USA: Gesswein, Rio Grande, Otto Frei, FDJ.. Outside the USA:
- FDJ Tools YouTube Video: Using the Wolf Belt Sander. He talks about setting up and using the sander.
- Kate Wolf Video: 4 Wolf Belt Sander Benchmate Adaptor. Kate shows the usage of the GRS adaptor and a few, surprising, things that I never thought of doing with the sander – upside down? Wow.
- Kate Wolf Video: 3 Wolf Belt Sander Clamp. Kate shows you how to use the sander clamp in interesting ways.